a) Your current back pain may have been caused from carrying a heavy, overfull backpack for the 12yrs you went to school.
b) International studies have shown that over 80% of children think their bag is too heavy for them.
c) And 46% of kids think that their bags cause back pain.
Well you do now – so here is how to size your child’s backpack.
· It should be no heavier than 10% of your child’s weight
· No wider than their chest
· They should use both shoulder straps (though this is unlikely to happen I know)
· Don’t let them wear it any lower than the hollow of their back
· Place heavy items towards the base of their pack and close to the spine
Now for all the kids out there who think mum and Dad are just nagging.
I know we all want a cool looking backpack that uses one strap and hangs as low to our bum as possible. But LOOKS AREN’T EVERYTHING! Trust me! Future you will thank you for having a stupid bag. (Trust me I’m a chiropractor…. I know).\